In previous blog, I have mentioned difference in public versus private medical care. As consumer who pays for medical service either by direct charge or indirect charge through taxation but time consming waiting list, one would seek the best means to obtain good and personalised service in public system
1. Stress on making appointment to new case clinic
Usually the new case clinic is seen by senior doctors or specialist directly. This help to prevent missing important ill patient who may not have correct diagnosis on referral. This is much better than going back to the old clinic with regular FU and reporting a new symptom or new disease. Stree on getting referral addressed to the new case time slot of the specialist clinic.
2. Ask politely for being interviewed by senior team member of the in charge physicians team.
So always allow for being interview at day time. At rush hours or non office hour, usually the front line doctors or even the on call doctors are available. There is absolutely minimal effect in asking question or challange the care mode when you are interviewed by person without authority.
3 Make a gesture of asking for well documented information but do not make threat to complain
Human nature make public servants sensitive to clients requiring thorrough documentation of every details. But never pose a threat to complain, This iwill destroy the original relationship with caregiver.
4. Make careful research on mode of treatment of your own disease. Make suggestion or pose rational queries on the selected mode of treatment.
5. Before committing to have operation in this or that hospital. Do research on number of similar cases handled in those cedntres.also some hospital has shorter operatoperation waiting list than other. Borrow other address if necessary
6. Trust your care givers and maintain harmonious relatioship by mutual respect.
For private care, word of mouth and transparency of charge is important and reflect the professionalism of individual specialist.
If the specialist refues to discuss the cost or fees before committment of care or hospitalisation, beware of that. If the care of the specialist are to be split among other profession, the client retain the right to know how the fee is splitted or on which ground.
I am Dr Chung Shiu Shek specialised in cardiac and thoracic surgery. Feel free to discuss your own or your family medcial need with me. I strive to give my best possible advice to any questioners. Phone: 3160 8865 E mail: email@example.com